Out-Of-Court Child Support Agreement

An Out-Of-Court Child Support Agreement May be a Waste of Time

Many times parents try to resolve a child support dispute by entering into some sort of financial agreement themselves. In other words, they do so without involvement from the Court.  This approach may be an attempt to avoid the costs of filing a support action or to keep the peace. Or the paying parent may be simply taking advantage of the other parent.   No matter the reason, an out-of-court child support agreement may seem like an easy way to avoid disputes. Likewise, you may think it is just easier to avoid the Court’s involvement.  However, an out-of-court child support agreement may be nothing more than a waste of time.

Child support is for the child’s benefit and a parent cannot negotiate away the child’s statutory rights.  In order to protect the rights of a child, the Court must follow specific income-based guidelines in the determination of the appropriate amount of child support. If an out-of-court child support agreement provides for less child support than what is required by the statutory guidelines it will not protect the paying parent from having to pay more, nor will it prohibit the receiving parent from going after additional child support entitled to them by law.

Therefore, your out-of-court child support agreement may be a waste of time. Our lawyers have a deep understanding of Pennsylvania’s child support laws. So, give us a call if you have any questions or need help with your matter.


On Key

Related Posts


Love in the time of … COVID-19?

If, like almost all Americans at some point in the last three months, because of COVID-19 you have found yourself quarantined with your spouse for

Contact Mobilio Wood today

Online or by telephone at (610) 882-4000 to speak to Attorney Mobilio about your alimony matter. While we serve many areas, we focus our practice on the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, the Poconos and the Philadelphia suburbs including Montgomery and Bucks County.