spouse handles the money

I want a divorce but my spouse handles the money. What do I do?

In many marriages, one spouse handles the money and all of the financial dealings of the couple.  This can often leave one spouse in the dark with regard to the financial health of the couple. Thus, initiating a divorce is particularly difficult for the dependent spouse.  This blog will discuss what you can do if you want a divorce but your spouse controls the money. It also addresses if you have separated and cut off from the family finances.

Alimony Pendente Lite

The Pennsylvania Divorce Code has safeguards to protect the financially dependent spouse in the above-referenced situations.  Depending on the parties’ income and other factors, a dependent spouse may collect alimony from the independent spouse while the divorce is pending.   This is also known as “alimony pendente lite” or “alimony pending litigation”.   Alimony pendente lite is awarded without regard to whether you were actually at fault for the divorce.  Rather, the Court’s only consideration is whether the spouse has a need for support.  And men, alimony pendente lite is available to you as well.   This allows the dependent spouse to maintain the divorce action and a quality standard of living throughout the divorce process.

Other Divorce Costs

In addition to collecting alimony pendente lite, you may also be entitled to the costs of your divorce. Obviously, this includes attorneys’ fees. In requesting attorneys’ fees, the Court will consider, among other things, your financial resources and the payor’s ability to pay those fees.  Your spouse may even be required to pay the costs of an appraiser, accountant or any other professional necessary for making a determination of the marital estate’s value.  This request can be made at the outset of the divorce proceeding in a Complaint or later through a petition to the court.

You need an attorney who knows how to make sure you are financially secure both during and after divorce proceedings. We have this this experience and can help you. Just give us a call.


On Key

Related Posts


Love in the time of … COVID-19?

If, like almost all Americans at some point in the last three months, because of COVID-19 you have found yourself quarantined with your spouse for

Contact Mobilio Wood today

Online or by telephone at (610) 882-4000 to speak to Attorney Mobilio about your alimony matter. While we serve many areas, we focus our practice on the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, the Poconos and the Philadelphia suburbs including Montgomery and Bucks County.