uninsured or underinsured driver

What if I get hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver?

Did you know that Pennsylvania drivers must only carry $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident in insurance coverage? Assuming the other driver even has insurance, that amount may be sufficient to cover minor injuries from a car accident. However, it will almost certainly not cover the costs of more serious injuries like broken bones, herniated discs, or worse. Obviously, serious injuries come with serious and significant costs including medical expenses and pain and suffering. Clearly, you may have a problem if hurt by a negligent and uninsured or underinsured driver.

But there is good news. When injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver, you might be able to recover damages from your own insurance company. In this regard, Pennsylvania requires that all drivers maintain at least $15,000 of UM/UIM (underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage) per person and $30,000 per accident. UM/UIM benefits are available to you when the negligent driver’s insurance coverage is inadequate to cover your damages.

While the minimum UM/UIM coverage is $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident, you can purchase higher limits. You would be wise to increase your level of coverage beyond the state’s minimum. In fact, you should get as much coverage as you can afford. If you do not know what your coverage is, contact your insurance agent. It may be the only thing that protects you when in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

If you have any questions, please call us.


On Key

Related Posts


Love in the time of … COVID-19?

If, like almost all Americans at some point in the last three months, because of COVID-19 you have found yourself quarantined with your spouse for

Contact Mobilio Wood today

Online or by telephone at (610) 882-4000 to speak to Attorney Mobilio about your alimony matter. While we serve many areas, we focus our practice on the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, the Poconos and the Philadelphia suburbs including Montgomery and Bucks County.