car accident

If I am in a car accident, does it matter what insurance I have?

If you are injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver and have chosen limited tort coverage for your own vehicle, you can only recover damages from the negligent party’s insurance company for your medical bills. You cannot recover for pain and suffering and other non-monetary damages. For example, no damages for loss of life’s pleasures unless the injuries suffered fit the definition of “serious injury”.

For instance, if you are rear-ended and suffer only a neck sprain, limited tort coverage would only reimburse you for your medical bills. It would not cover pain and suffering you may have endured for weeks or months thereafter. Car accidents can leave lasting, harmful effects that do not show up on an x-ray or MRI. When you choose Limited Tort, you waive your right to recover compensation for those lifelong issues.

On the other hand, under Pennsylvania law, full tort coverage, allows compensation for the full range of damages.

If you have limited tort coverage or are unsure of your coverage, call your insurance agent today. And inquire how to change your coverage for greater protection from a car accident caused by a negligent driver.

If you have chosen limited tort coverage and you are injured in an accident, the severity of your injury may determine whether you can recover for pain and suffering. You need an attorney who knows what the insurance companies are looking for when determining the severity of your injuries.

We can help so give us a call!


On Key

Related Posts


Love in the time of … COVID-19?

If, like almost all Americans at some point in the last three months, because of COVID-19 you have found yourself quarantined with your spouse for

Contact Mobilio Wood today

Online or by telephone at (610) 882-4000 to speak to Attorney Mobilio about your alimony matter. While we serve many areas, we focus our practice on the Lehigh Valley, including Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, the Poconos and the Philadelphia suburbs including Montgomery and Bucks County.